Eighty bands from the football bowl subdivision - well, minus one notable absence - will head to 41 bowl games this year, with two bands participating in the Celebration Bowl, and another two emerging from the FCS playoffs to compete in the championship game. In the sixth year of the Big Band Bowl Battle, a few notes:
- After last year, with a record number of dual Sudler matchups, the 2016 postseason boasts just three, with the possibility of a fourth should both Alabama and Ohio State win their playoff games. (And as always, the Sudler caveat)
- Conversely, the possibility exists for the first
- No fewer than six bowls match former conferencemates.
- The College Football Playoff games return to New Year's Eve, but at least this time they'll find some college football familiarity falling on a Saturday.
- Unfortunately, the corollary is the complete dearth of college football or major televised American parades on New Year's Day.
- My favorite byproduct of the playoff persists: Elimination of the ain't-shit bowls (Looking at you, GoDaddy) from the new year. We do, however, have a "New Year's Six" bowl taking place way back on 12/30.
Every single game is listed below, except for the CFB Playoff National Championship, which will post as soon as the matchup is finalized. You can also follow on Facebook or Twitter, where each new bowl will post prior to its start. If you've grown accustomed to following #B4 on Twitter, they'll still be there, but I pivoted to a more unique hashtag midstream, so you can get used to #BowlBands for the future.
Happy bowl season, everyone!
Celebtation - New Mexico - Las Vegas - Cure - Camellia - New Orleans - Miami Beach - Boca Raton - Poinsettia - Famous Idaho Potato - Bahamas - Armed Forces - Dollar General - Hawai'i - St. Petersburg - Quick Lane - Independence - Heart of Dallas - Military - Cactus - Holiday - Pinstripe - Russell Athletic - Foster Farms - Texas - Birmingham - Belk - Alamo - Liberty - Sun - Music City - Arizona - Orange - Citrus - TaxSlayer - Cotton - Outback - Rose - Sugar