A few short notes before we head into the New Year's Eve playoff and shortly thereafter, 2016.
- The University of Florida released their date and graphic for Homecoming 2016, featuring... FSU's Marching Chiefs. Some good natured banter transpired between the rivals' Twitter accounts, including UF giving the Marching Chiefs their props (while also big-upping their own Sudler Trophy winners).
- I acknowledged that it was an assumption that any given bowl game was a two band affair, as some athletic departments may look to cut corners. Sometimes, I hate being right, but even I missed the mark on this one. I doubted that any school would neglect to send the band at all, but Cincinnati, Middle Tennessee, and Western Michigan did.
- While I blamed the Rose Bowl for the playoff games on New Year's Eve, The Oklahoman's Berry Tramel calls the Sugar Bowl the culprit. He's actually more right, because he applies a concept I simply mentioned: The Rose Bowl deserved to keep its place. The Sugar Bowl doesn't.
- In damning with faint praise: The 2016 season College Football Playoff games also fall on New Year's Eve, but at least it's a Saturday. The kicker? New Year's Day will be devoid of games altogether, as the NFL still rules supreme on Sunday. The rest of the New Years Six will wait until Monday 1/2.
- Frank Beamer has coached his final game for the Virginia Tech Hokies. but his tenure with the Marching Virginians may have just begun.
- Chip Kelly is out as head coach (and perhaps more poignantly, as GM) of the Philadelphia Eagles. Don't let the Liberty Bell hit you on the way out.
- As the year comes to a close, folks are doing their countdowns. the NCAA named its five best halftime shows of 2015. HBCU Sports named their top ten HBCU marching band covers. College Marching is also naming their favorite moments of 2015.
- Last but certainly not least: Lest we forget, there's some football being played in the next 24 hours. The Solid Verbal previews the semifinal games. Athlon Sports does as well, with a bonus of a leading photo featuring the Spartan Marching Band. There's no shortage of playoff coverage from SB Nation, and naturally, the Worldwide Leader has something to say as well.
So there you have it - several quick hits as the year reaches its coda. Happy new year!